Monday, November 4, 2013

Memorable Raya Aidilfitri

I was very lucky to be commissioned by Datuk Rohani Abdul Karim, the Malaysian Minister of Women, Family and Community Development to doodle for this year's Raya Aidilfitri celebration. I had only started doodling 'seriously' about 2 months prior to that and was not sure if I could pull it off, but I'm glad I took up the challenge! I worked on about half a dozen different designs and the one we finally agreed upon was then tweaked to suit the occasion.

A few proposals for the project. It was challenging but satisfying for me to finally channel my energy and creativity into something else apart from writing or teaching English.


3 out of the 5 redrawn proposals to cater to the client's want. We finally got it on the 5th version, alhamdulillah. How I wished there were undo and redo buttons while doing this!
I was so excited to be invited to her open house with my whole family, thinking I would be able to see my design on a banner. We took photos at the first banner we saw outside the main entrance at BCCK and I had to keep pinching myself as it was so surreal. However guess what, they didn't only put it on that banner, they had the entire design blown up to fill up the 20 feet stage backdrop! And the Raya money packets! And this cookie box gift set! She also had the design everywhere she went for Raya celebration in the Sarawak interiors, my cousin actually spotted the banner with the doodle design on a ferry. LOL.

Received my own set of cards from the lady in the photo herself at her Raya Aidilfitri open house at BCCK in Kuching 
The doodles were also on money envelopes aka sampul duit raya!
Datuk Rohani Abdul Karim's raya cookies gift box

Datuk Rohani and I
A month after that, Wan and Intan, her children, both sent me photos of the doodle design on banners and backdrop at Datuk Rohani's open house at Putrajaya! It was definitely the highlight of 2013 for me and what I learned from it is, if you do something, do it well, persevere and you could be very handsomely rewarded. And take risks!

Stage background at YB Datuk Rohani's open house at Putrajaya yesterday. Photo by Wan.

No comments:

Post a Comment